Pointing Minnesota in the Right Direction
Written by Karen Effrem
September 23, 2011
After the most recent presidential debate, where she rightly highlighted the very poor decision of Texas Governor Rick Perry to mandate Merck’s Gardasil vaccine for HPV, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann reported the concerns of a distraught mother about the severe side effects of Gardasil had on her daughter. Since then she has been absolutely pilloried by physicians, politicians, and political operatives on both sides of the aisle. While admitting that perhaps the case could have benefitted from more detailed vetting, and the term “brain damage” instead of “mental retardation” would have been more accurate, here are a few reasons both medically and politically why the criticism of the congresswoman is so rabidly and almost delusionally intense as well as incorrect:
1) This incident sheds more unwanted light on the controversial nature of this vaccine – Dr. Diane Harper is the lead researcher for the development of both Gardasil, the HPV vaccine by Merck mandated by Governor Rick Perry in Texas and Cervarix, the product by GlaxoSmithKline. She and other physicians, as well as families of HPV vaccine victims who have died or been seriously injured, have been making important statements about the many problems with these HPV vaccines:
a) Due to the high rates of screening, cervical cancer is not the crisis in the United States being portrayed by vaccine advocates –
“What is left out is that 95% of all HPV infections are cleared spontaneously by the body’s immune system. The remaining 5% progress to cancer precursors. Cancer precursors, specifically CIN 3, progresses to invasive cancer in the following proportions: 20% of women with CIN 3 progress to invasive cervical cancer in five years; 40% progress to cervical cancer in thirty years. There is ample time to detect and treat the early precancers and early stage cancers for 100% cure.” [Harper interview by Yerman]
b) The vaccine is associated with serious adverse effects including death and brain damage– Despite the efforts of the CDC to explain away the dozens of deaths in previously healthy young women closely associated in time with this vaccine, there are real problems with Gardasil and Cervarix. The serious adverse reactions that seem to be caused by an autoimmune reaction (the body attacking itself) result in, among other very serious problems, central nervous system problems like encephalomyelitis (brain inflammation due to infection or inflammation) that can cause mental impairment otherwise known as mental retardation –
- In a response to two bioethicists ethically challenged “challenge” to Michele Bachmann to produce a child that was made mentally retarded by Gardasil, the group SaneVax produced a table of adverse effects from HPV vaccines reported to VAERS containing hundreds of reports including those of “encephalitis,” “encephalomyelitis,” “cognitive impairment,” and “mental status changes.” All of these conditions can cause or are evidence of mental retardation. SaneVax and the Alliance for Human Research Protection noted 17 different peer reviewed journal articles noting cases of brain damage and other central nervous problems from this vaccine.
- Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neurosurgeon and researcher, discussed in an interview the peer reviewed research papers he has written and the fact that some of the major side effects of vaccines that the Institute of Medicine has admitted are seizures and brain damage that can lead to mental retardation. He also discussed the low rate of reports of vaccine problems, being somewhere in the range of 2%, due to the passive and voluntary nature of the system. According to Blaylock’s estimate, it is likely that there are more than 600 deaths and over 100,000 serious adverse events from this vaccine.
- The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) has also stated that Michele Bachmann is correct to question the mandate saying, “She repeated one parent’s statement that the vaccine apparently caused cognitive problems in her child, and no one has disproven that possibility. We need to hear more, not less, about parents’ and patients’ experiences with these vaccines, so that they can weigh the risks and benefits for themselves. Vaccines, like all medical treatments, should be given only with fully informed consent.
- An Indiana child’s experience after Gardasil was described as follows – “Her daughter, Zeda was a normal, healthy 13-year-old who loved her family, her friends and her phone. She once was a popular cheerleader and A-B student, who texted and talked tirelessly. Now, she is silent. She is strapped to her wheelchair, her head leaning against a head rest, her eyes wandering, seemingly sightless. She can neither walk, eat, nor speak.
- ”“Gardasil® is associated with GBS [Guillian-Barre Syndrome] that has resulted in deaths.” [Harper ]
- “I have personally witnessed the devastation caused by severe vaccine reaction, including patients, their children, nurses and my own family.To proceed with mass vaccination against this embellished “threat” is irresponsible.” [Clayton Young, M.D., F.A.C.O.G. from an email dated 7/5/06]