1(a) Gardasil Deaths and How it has Affected the Lives of American Girls and Young American Women and Their Families

Gardasil Deaths

Section 1(a)

Healthy Young Americans prior to Gardasil

Those who have died following Gardasil vaccination

Jenny Tetlock (California – Northern) was a 15-year-old girl battling a rapidly degenerative neurological disease that some MDs think MAY be linked to the HPV vaccine she received shortly before her first symptoms appeared. (There is no scientific proof one way or the other but Dr Diane Harper, leading researcher who helped design and carry out Phase II and Phase III safety and effectiveness studies to get Gardasil approved and acted as a consultant to Merck, believes that the possibility of a triggering of a genetic disorder within a family has to be considered seriously).”    From Jenny’s Journey

Jenny passed away on March 15, 2009 surrounded by her family. Jenny’s Journey gives more details of the events surrounding this young girl’s sudden illness following her Gardasil vaccination.

Moshella Roberts, 20, a student from Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, (Carolina – North)‎. She died from the

Moshella Roberts

Gardasil vaccination, her first day on the job at Trinity Home Care, April 5, 2008Shelly appeared to have died in her sleep while on the job that morning.

Shelly was a funny, quiet and easy-going person.  Although she had a ’laid back’ personality, she loved to help other people.  In her spare time, she enjoyed doing hair and spending time with family and friends.

In High School she was a varsity cheerleader,  an active volunteer for her community (Special Olympics, make-up artist for a major play, and various town functions) and she received her C.N.A, all while maintaining a honor status.  She received her post-secondary education at Fayetteville State University, majoring in psychology.

During her sophomore year, she sought employment through a home health care agency, and suddenly died at her first day on the job, coincidentally four days after receiving the Gardasil vaccine.

Brooke Petkevicius (Florida) who was 19 when she died  while at the University of California, Berkeley where she studied social work and was involved in many extracurricular activities including co-ed volleyball and ballroom dancing.  She played on an intramural volleyball team, went to kickboxing classes.  She also was a social welfare major.  She died 14 days after her first dose of Gardasil from a pulmonary embolism or blood clot on March 26th, 2007. There is no family history of this.

Brooke’s story: “Brooke did not smoke,” said her school friend, Megan Sedowski.  “She was possibly one of the healthiest people I’ve ever met.  She never did drugs and rarely drank alcohol.  She worked out daily, and took a lot of classes at the gym.  She never complained about anything, really, certainly not her health.  She was an amazing, upbeat, caring, healthy young woman and her death was a complete shock.”  Brooke had dressed to go running with a friend because they were training for a half-marathon.  She walked to the elevator, collapsed against the wall and had a seizure.  Brooke was rushed to the hospital and passed away.

Brooke never had any problems with blood clots, nor did her family have any history of clotting problems.  Subsequent tests of her younger sister and her mother showed nothing genetic.  Brooke had no allergies, no tobacco use, and no past substance abuse problems.  Drug tests came back negative.

Cynthia Janak, who wrote this piece on Brooke, spoke to all her family.  They told her what a wonderful, kind-hearted young woman she was.  She had dreams and aspirations for her future and how her laughter was contagious and how her smile lit up a room.  This was a girl who had it hard growing up, as many of us, but became a stronger person for it.  The phrase Cynthia likes to use is “she took sour grapes and made fine wine.”

(Email address: gzsrocks@yahoo.com)

Christina Richelle Tarsell

Christina Richelle Tarsell (Sparks, Maryland).  Chris was a girl on the go; a girl with a vision.  She loved being at Bard College where she was an honor student.  She loved studio art, philosophy, the tennis team, visits to New York City and hanging out with her caring, fun-loving friends.  She was generous, compassionate and always gave back to others.  Between her junior and senior years, Chris had a summer job working at the college art museum while living with classmates in a house in Tivoli, NY.  So after a short visit home to Maryland, Chris returned to Bard and her job on June 13, 2008.

During the visit home, on June 3rd, Chris had gotten her third shot of Gardasil.  A few days later, Chris complained of feeling dizzy, tired and she developed a rash on her neck.  She had a post-vaccine cough and sinus congestion that wouldn’t go away.  We were never told of any side effects to Gardasil so we did not know these signs were significant.  Chris was found dead in her bed 18 days after her third shot.  What could have happened?  Chris was always a healthy, wholesome girl, a non-smoker, an athlete.  She didn’t take drugs or medication.  As of this writing, the cause is “undetermined”.  Further investigation suggests that Chris, like other girls who died following Gardasil, may have had an autoimmune related response triggered by the vaccine.  The CDC wants you to dismiss them as “coincidences,” while our beautiful, innocent daughters die needlessly.

(Email address: chriscares@live.com

Amber Kaufman

Amber Kaufman (St Louis, Missouri) was a perfectly healthy 16 year old teenage girl who collapsed on her way into work with a seizure and her heart then stopped. Amber played volleyball, track, bowled and loved hanging out with her boyfriend, family and friends.  She was up beat fun and loved life.  She was the last in the nest, she was my best friend.  She looked forward to joining the military like her older brother and sister.

Her cause of death was listed as “cardiac disturbance of undetermined etiology.”

Amber’s story – March 31st 2008, Amber went to the doctor for a sore throat and at the same time she was administered her second shot of Gardasil, she also had a shot of Rocephin and was put on Erythromycin (Z pack).  Being her mom, I asked if she should have the shot since she was sick and her nurse practitioner said it would be no problem.  She was also in the middle of her menstrual cycle when she received this shot.  She stayed home from school a couple of days as she complained of headaches, being tired and slept a lot.  I attributed it to her illness.  She went to school on 4/3/08.  Amber was on her way to work after school and I was on my way home, she called to let me know that the road to our house was closed due to water.  That was the last time I ever talked to her, about 15 minutes later I got a call from her work saying she had collapsed on her way into work.  I live only a few blocks from where she works.  When I arrived they were just getting ready to start CPR.  Amber was taken to the hospital about 15 minutes away, they did not get a heart beat until they reached the emergency room.  She was transferred to St. Louis Children’s Hospital where she did not come off life support.  Her brain had swelled and without a breathing tube or tube feeding she would not be able to live, she was brain dead.  Amber was an organ donor on April 7, 2008.  I sat at her head in the surgery room while they removed her breathing tube, she tried breathing for a while, I’m the one that had to tell her to go and to just be at peace and I was with her at the end. No mother should have to do that for her child, it was the hardest thing I have ever done or ever will do in my life!  I am so glad my Amber saved at least five other lives.  I get up every day because I know she would want me to let others know not to get this vaccine to prevent this from happening to any other young woman or mom.

(Email address:  teri6248@yahoo.com)

Megan Hild (Los Lunas, New Mexico) 
(died aged 20 in November 2008)

Megan loved children especially her nieces and nephew. Her family was her life and she never missed an opportunity to

Megan Hild

spend time with them. She especially liked to be at home just hanging out with family and friends. Megan was a student at CNM working towards her Associates degree in radiology and general studies. Megan’s beautiful smile will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her.

She was a very healthy and happy young lady and loved going to college.

Here is an excerpt of an email from her mother.

On her death certificate it will read, Cause of death unknown. She’s my daughter and I loved her!!!! I will never see her graduate college. I will never see her wear a wedding dress and hold her babies in her arms.

Other information about Megan:  Symptoms – rash “severe stomach pains” “severe headaches/migraines” “extreme fatigue” vaginal bleeding.

Her mother Karen adds this additional comment:  “We have a sixteen year old son who says, “life does not matter, what you do in life does not matter”.  This is how this vaccine has changed our family’s life forever!  Megan was 20, happy and healthy.  She was attending College with a promise of marriage after graduation.  She held her life in the palm of her hand.  Now all this family has is a certificate with an unexplained cause of death on it.  Something that was to protect her health may have taken her life.  There needs to be an investigation right away before more young women are injured, or worse, die.  Please do not allow another family to have to live the life we have been made to live.”

(email address: snowflakes18454@yahoo.com)

Santana G. Valdez (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

She was beautiful, sweet, kind and always thinking of others first. She loved kids and was always surrounded by them.  She

Santana G. Valdez

helped teach catechism at San Martin de Porres Church. She had just graduated from Nuestros Valores High School.  Because of a great personality, she had many friends. Not only was she my daughter, she was my best friend. We did everything together. I miss her and that beautiful smile of hers. She always believed in Angels and that they take care of us. Well, I know for sure she made it

to Heaven because the morning of her rosary, a hummingbird was inside our house. It let us catch it and when we released it, it looked at all three of us and flew straight up into the sky.  She had to come to let her Mom know that she was okay. She died August 31, 2007 at the tender age of 18 years old. She just went to bed normally and never woke up.  Autopsy and toxicology show nothing.  Her heart and liver were a little enlarged. Death certificate says she died of natural causes but inconclusive due to toxicology and autopsy reports.

Santana’s autopsy report did say that the pathologist had found the papillomatosis in her airways.  Is there a possibility that Santana had Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis (RRP) which causes wart-like growths in the airway passages caused by the human papilloma virus?  These growths usually form on the vocal folds, causing a voice disorder.  Just before my daughter’s death I noticed strange breathing and a whistling noise which is very significant.  If this condition had been there months earlier I would have noticed this change in my daughter’s breathing noises and even swallowing difficulties.  However, this is not the case, I only noticed it after her Gardasil vaccination and before she died.

(Email address: liliancrunk@hotmail.com)

Jessica Ericzon

Jessica Ericzon (Alexandria Bay, New York)

(Died February 22, 2008 – age 17)

I guess I will start with Jessie’s first Doctor’s visit where we went because of Jessie’s acne.  She had heard that sometimes birth control pills did wonders for acne.  So in April of 2007 we went to the Family doctor.  At this appointment she was put on the birth control pill Yazmin.  Her Doctor  did mention the Gardasil vaccine and what it was for, but they didn’t push it at all.  Jessie and I decided that we would take the pamphlet home and read it first, before we made a decision.  On July 16, 2007 we went back to the Doctor for a re-check on her progress with the birth control pill and her acne which was clearing up quite nicely.  We decided then to go ahead with her first Gardasil vaccination.  I thought I was doing the best for Jessie, I mean who wouldn’t want to do everything they could to prevent any kind of cancer when it came to their kids.  Side effects were discussed and it was the usual nausea, fever, headache, same as if you were to get a flu shot.  If I had known at the time that there was even the slightest chance of death, I would have never allowed Jess to have the shot.  There were no side effects after her first shot.  We went in on September 17, 2007 for her second vaccination.  The only complaint that she had was that it hurt to get the shot.  I’m not sure when Jessie started complaining about her head hurting, plus she was always tired and her joints ached.  She even felt dizzy once in a while.  I did write in my diary on October 23, 2007 that she complained of a very severe headache.  She spoke once in awhile of a spot on the back of her head that bothered her.  She felt like it was a tumor, but I felt nothing when I checked. On November 20, 2007 I took her to the same family Doctor who prescribed her 2 previous vaccinations to check on why she could be having these headaches.  He felt nothing and said it may be due to stress that she is having headaches and she was to take some Tylenol when needed.  At no point in this conversation did side effects and Gardasil come up, it didn’t occur to me or obviously the Doctor that Gardasil could have anything to do with it.  After that visit she was still tired and her joints still ached and a few headaches here and there, I attributed the joint ache to Cheerleading as she was a base and did a lot of lifting. In February 2008, 18th-24th, Jessie was on a winter break from school, but she did take Distance Learning Classes thru the local community college. A few days that week Jess went to her school to practice pitching for the upcoming softball season.  She loved to pitch and practiced as much as she could. On February 20, about 5pm Jess had her 3rd Gardasil vaccination and everything was fine until the night before she died, when Jess and I were sitting on the couch playing a Sudoku game on her laptop, Jessie said the spot on the back of her head hurt again.  I told her to take a couple of Tylenol and hopefully she would feel better in the morning.  At 9pm I kissed her goodnight and told her I loved her and went to bed. My other half Tim and I work at the same hospital so we left at about 5:10 that Friday morning February 22, 2008 and Jess was sleeping as usual.  When we got home from work around 3:20 pm, I found Jessie dead on the bathroom floor. The shock to my body and brain are nothing I ever want to experience again.  Although I relive them everyday of my life now.  I see the blue of her eyes which were open slightly as if she were watching me as I lay on the bathroom floor with her knowing there was nothing I could do for her. When the troopers showed up Tim said I did mention the fact that Jessie had the Gardasil vaccination although I don’t remember. I do remember telling someone about the pain in the back of her head before she went to bed.  The next morning the Medical Examiner, Dr Livingstone called me to tell me they found no reason for Jessie’s death.  He said she was dead before she hit the floor. I do remember telling him about the 3rd Gardasil vaccination she had just had not 2 days ago.  He said that he had not heard of any negative findings with Gardasil.  After that Tim went home (as we were staying with my dad across the road) and Googled Gardasil.  The information that came up was devastating to me.  I felt I had killed my daughter. I will stop here because the rest is basically much grief and much research.  Respectfully, Lisa Ericzon.

Lisa Ericzon would also like to add:  “Losing your daughter at the age of 17 is indescribable.  It is something that I will live with for the rest of my life.  Knowing that it could have been prevented is a guilt I will carry also.  Jessie was the All American teenager – happy, healthy, never did drugs or smoked.  She was so full of everything life could offer her and did everything life would allow.  She participated in all the sports and cheer leading in her school.  Jess was an honor student and #8 in her class.  I could go on and on because she was someone who I was ALWAYS proud to call my daughter.  She was the best of the best and was on the road to becoming a success story in today’s world.  Now she is gone and my life is empty without her.”

“Gardasil killed my daughter Jessie and it is my hope that Gardasil will end soon, so no other family has to suffer with losing their daughter.”

(Email address:  laknights7@westelcom.com)

 European Gardasil Death

Jasmin Soriat

Jasmin Soriat (Germany)
04.14.1988  –  10.12.2007

The 19-year-old succumbed to respiratory paralysis after she was vaccinated against HPV.  “She was fit, happy and fun-loving. She never had any serious illnesses, had no lung disease, and she never smoked.  There were also previously never problems with vaccinations.”

The last night

Meticulously the parents have reconstructed the final hours of  Jasmin: “She was at a concert a Spanish band, before midnight  she was at a fast food restaurant, then drove with her flatmate  home by taxi to Döbling. Two o’clock in the morning drank some tea.  Her girlfriend came by to check up on her the next day but Jasmine, according to her friend who said, “She must have died a few hours earlier in her sleep.”  (This was a rough translation from German.)


Author: Leslie Carol Botha

Author, publisher, radio talk show host and internationally recognized expert on women's hormone cycles. Social/political activist on Gardasil the HPV vaccine for adolescent girls. Co-author of "Understanding Your Mood, Mind and Hormone Cycle." Honorary advisory board member for the Foundation for the Study of Cycles and member of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research.